KrisFlyer turns 21 this February, so it's time to celebrate!
Singapore Airlines is offering an EXTRA 21% off, on top of the usual 30% discount for redemption bookings to selected destinations in the Singapore Airlines and SilkAir network, for a grand discount of 51%.
This is undoubtedly the best opportunity to acquire airfares on a premium airline for a seriously low amount of points this year. But you'll have to hurry as fares are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Just how good a deal is this?
To put it into perspective, by using this promotion, you could pay less than half the miles than you'd need to fork out to redeem a Qantas award flight on the same routes. Plus, unlike Qantas redemptions, there are no nasty carrier surcharges to worry about (as Singapore Airlines abolished them sometime back).
Read on to discover January's top deals.
January 2020 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals
Flights are redeemable on Singapore Airlines from now till 31 January 2020, for travel from 1 to 29 February 2020 inclusive.
Australian routes include:
- Singapore to Adelaide – 30,380 KrisFlyer miles one way in Business on flight SQ279
- Singapore to Brisbane – 13,720 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy on flight SQ255, from 1-16 February 2020
- Singapore to Brisbane – 30,380 KrisFlyer miles one way in Business on flights SQ245, SQ255 and SQ265, from 1-16 February 2020
- Adelaide to Singapore – 13,720 or 30,380 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy or Business on flight SQ278
- Brisbane to Singapore – 13,720 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy on flights SQ236, SQ246 or SQ266
- Brisbane to Singapore – 30,380 KrisFlyer miles one way in Business on flights SQ236, SQ256 or SQ266
The promotional SilkAir routes are:
- Singapore to Darwin – 9,800 or 17,885 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy or Business on flights MI801 and MI803
- Singapore to Cairns – 13,720 Krisflyer miles one way in Economy on flights MI811 and MI813, from 1-12 February 2020
- Singapore to Cairns – 30,380 Krisflyer miles one way in Business on flights MI811 and MI813
- Darwin to Singapore – 9,800 or 17,885 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy or Business on flights MI802 and MI804
- Cairns to Singapore – 13,720 or 30,380 KrisFlyer miles one way in Economy or Business on flights MI812 and MI814
Further afield there are some exceptional deals:
- Europe – Singapore outbound flights to European cities including Barcelona, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris and Rome for just 45,080 Krisflyer miles in Business Class. Some return fares are also available.
- USA – Singapore to San Francisco, one-way flights on SQ2 and SQ1 for 18,620 or 46,550 Krisflyer miles in Economy or Business.
- Flights ex Singapore to/from Asia destinations
- Japan – Fukuoka, Narita, Nagoya and Osaka for just 23,000 Krisflyer miles, one way in Business
- Taipei – 7,350 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy
- Korea – Seoul for 12,250 or 23,030 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy or Business
- Hong Kong – 7,350 or 14,945 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy or Business
- Bali – 3,675 or 9,310 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy or Business
- China – Shanghai or Beijing for 9,800 or 19,110 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy or Business
Our pick would have to be Singapore to Johannesburg for 12,250 or 24,010 Krisflyer miles, one way in Economy or Business. That is a serious distance for so few points!
As always there are a significant number of offers departing Singapore to the wider world, so it would pay to view all current KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals by heading here.
How can I redeem a KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes flight?
- Log in to your KrisFlyer account.
- Select ‘Book a Flight’ on your dashboard.
- Click ‘Redeem flights’ and select your route.
Note that the redemption discount will only be reflected in the booking summary panel after you have selected the flights.
When are KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes fares released?
Typically Singapore Airlines releases KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes fares around the middle of the month. You'll then have until the end of that month to book and redeem your KrisFlyer miles for your selected route, with most flights then available to redeem during the following month.
What seats are available in Spontaneous Escapes?
KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes can be a great way to save if you're flexible with your travel dates and your class of travel.
Typically, Business, Premium Economy and Economy Saver seats are offered at discounted rates, usually between 30% and 50% off.
While the promotion has been run throughout the previous year, sadly, we've not once spotted first class award redemptions, so it's unlikely that we'll see any of these in the future.
KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes restrictions
While the promotion can represent excellent value, note that tickets cannot be changed or cancelled – a risk that many will be happy to take for heavily discounted rates for imminent travel. There are also blackout periods in peak demand times that may further restrict options.
Flights are also available on a first come first serve basis, so your membership level with KrisFlyer is irrelevant in this case.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the offer page here.
Start collecting Krisflyer miles with the following American Express credit cards:
Receive 50,000 bonus American Express Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved, and spend $3,000 within the first 3 months of card membership. Plus, receive a $400 Amex Travel credit each year you hold the card. Use it for flights, accommodation or rental car bookings online with Amex Travel.
A history of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals
Singapore Airlines relaunched their popular KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes promotion in March 2019 with a range of discounted award flights (some at 50%) off. Discounts were available for flights originating in multiple Australian cities, creating excitement amongst travellers who held a stash of KrisFlyer miles.
Since the initial launch, however, the promotion has been somewhat less generous. Some months bring compelling offers, whilst others are rather limited. However, the selection can be attractive if you have flexibility. Additionally, there can be even greater value to be had by positioning to Singapore before journeying outwards to Asia, the USA or Europe, so it pays to think outside the box.
Below is a history of what's previously been offered.
November 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes Offers
In November 2019 there was very limited offering, one-way ex-Singapore to Perth. SilkAir routes included Singapore to Darwin or Cairns.
October 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes Offers
In October, KrisFlyer released a 30% discount for Singapore Airlines Business and Premium Economy class seats and SilkAir Saver Economy seats departing most Australian capital cities to Singapore routes for travel in November. SilkAir flights ex Darwin and Cairns were also offered.
September 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes Offers
In September, KrisFlyer released a 30% discount for Singapore Airlines Business class seats and SilkAir Saver Economy seats on limited Australian routes for travel in October (with some blackout dates).
August 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals
In August, KrisFlyer ran a 30% discount for Singapore Airlines and SilkAir Saver Economy, Premium Economy and Business class seats, for travel in September (with some blackout dates). Routes on offer included Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra, Darwin and Cairns.
July 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes offers
In July, no Business class Saver fares were on offer for Australian destinations. However, travellers could choose from selected SilkAir economy routes, along with Economy, Premium Economy and Business fares for other destinations.
June 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes offers
In June, travellers were presented with a range of offers, mostly at 30% off. Below is a small selection of the more interesting flights with a 30% KrisFlyer miles redemption discount:
- Singapore to Brisbane, Business, 43,400 points per direction on SQ255, SQ265
- Brisbane to Singapore, Business, 43,400 points per direction on SQ256 and SQ266, 15-30th June
- Singapore to Melbourne, Business, 43,400 points per direction on SQ217, SQ227, SQ237, SQ257, SQ267, 1-16th June
- Singapore / Johannesburg, both ways, Business, 43,400 points per direction on SQ481 and SQ482
- Limited options on Singapore / Darwin and Singapore / Cairns routes, both ways.
There were also some exciting options ex Singapore into the northern Asian region.
Tickets needed to be issued between 15 – 31 May 2019 with travel occurring between 1 and 30 Jun 2019.
May 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals
May's deals for Australian cities were few and far between. However, given the strength of Singapore Airlines within Asia and the wider world, there were still some great offers.
Here is a small selection of the 30% KrisFlyer miles redemption discounts for selected flights:
- North Asia, Singapore to Guangzhou / Hong Kong/Beijing/Shanghai/Osaka/Tokyo and Seoul, both ways
- South Asia, Singapore to Kolkata / New Delhi, both ways
- One way from Europe, Paris/London back to Singapore
- One way from the USA, San Francisco back to Singapore
- Singapore to Phuket, both ways, for only 8,750 points per leg
- Singapore to a selection of Chinese destinations, both ways, for 10,500 per leg
Premium Economy Class Redemptions:
- Singapore to Seoul, both ways, for only 24,150 points per leg
The full list of routes and cabins offered this month can be found here.
April 2019 KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes deals
In April, Australian-based travellers could access one-way business class award flights on the following routes for 43,400 miles (representing a 30% discount from standard award pricing):
- Sydney – Singapore
- Canberra – Singapore
A range of other economy and business class redemptions were available for destinations across the Singapore Airlines and SilkAir network.
Subject to availability, the special award pricing was available to be redeemed until 31 March 2019, for travel from 1 to 30 April 2019 inclusive.
In addition, for travel from 1 to 31 May 2019 inclusive, travellers could enjoy 30% off the regular Premium Economy Saver rates on Singapore Airlines non-stop flights to Los Angeles, bringing the miles required to 43,600 each way.
The full list of routes and cabins offered under the March 2019 promotion can be found here.
Where can I sign up to receive the offers?
You can keep up to date with KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes offers by choosing to register as a customer. You can do this online within your KrisFlyer account. Not yet a member? Join Krisflyer for free.
KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes: Verdict
Spontaneous Escapes promotions aren't always generous to an Australian traveller. However, if you're flexible, a jaunt in Singapore Airlines' highly regarded business class at a 30% discount could still be a great deal, particularly when you consider that fuel surcharges are not charged on KrisFlyer award redemptions.
With Singapore Airlines recently committing to make Spontaneous Escapes a permanent fixture, we'll hopefully continue to see a range of solid KrisFlyer offers released each month.
Will you be booking a KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes flight this month?
While you’re here: Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest tips, deals and news. It only takes a few seconds and we respect your privacy: