If you’re looking for a fast track to elite Velocity status, a Virgin Australia double status credit offer could be what you need.
A double status credit offer could see you obtain Gold or Platinum Velocity status sooner, unlocking perks like lounge access, extra baggage allowance, priority upgrades and more.
Read on to discover more.
Virgin Australia double status credit offer: How it works
To earn double status credits with Virgin Australia, you’ll generally need to:
- Register via the Virgin Australia Double Status Credits offer page and enter your Velocity Frequent Flyer number to activate the offer.
- Book an eligible Virgin Australia flight between a specified time period.
- Travel between specific dates. Then, sit back and wait for your double status credits to be credited (this may take up to four weeks from the date of travel).
Which flights qualify for a double status credits offer?
Velocity double status credits can usually only be earned for flights that are operated and marketed by Virgin Australia (that’s a flight with a “VA” flight number on a Virgin Australia aircraft).
Codeshare flights operated by Velocity partner airlines are not eligible to earn double Velocity status credits. Note that you also can’t earn double status credits for existing bookings or upgrades.
If you currently hold a flexible booking on a VA operated and marketed flight and you’d like to take advantage of this double status credit offer, you could consider cancelling and rebooking in order to qualify. However, depending on the class of your ticket, significant cancellation or rebooking fees may apply.
When will my double Status Credits post?
Virgin Australia states that it may take up to four weeks after flying for the additional status credits to be posted to your Velocity Frequent Flyer account.
How often does Virgin Australia run double Status Credit offers?
From time to time, Virgin Australia runs double status credit offers that are open to the public. In 2019, Virgin Australia ran three publically available promotions: November 2019, May 2019 and in February 2019.
We’d expect Virgin Australia to run an offer in 2020. Why not subscribe to our newsletter, and ensure you’re amongst the first to find out when a new promotion is launched.
Other important things to note
All passengers in each booking need to register separately to earn double status credits. Once registered, travellers are able to make multiple bookings to earn double status credits during the promotion.
Some other restrictions apply. You can typically review the full terms and conditions on the offer page.
Digging into the details of Velocity elite membership
A Virgin Australia double status credit offer could fast track you to elite status, helping you to unlock perks like lounge access, extra baggage allowance, priority upgrades and more.
You’ll need to earn just 250 Velocity status credits to earn Silver status, and 200 to retain. A Velocity Frequent Flyer Silver membership unlocks the following key benefits:
- International Priority Check-in
- Two Single Entry passes for the Virgin Australia Domestic Lounge, valid for 12 months
- 50% Points bonus, on top of the base Points earned, when travelling with Virgin Australia (on all fare types except Domestic Getaway fares)
However, in our opinion, Velocity Gold membership is the sweeter level to chase. It requires just 500 Status Credits to earn and 400 to maintain, plus 4 eligible flight sectors. Once you’ve reached this membership level, you’ll enjoy a range of benefits, including:
- Access to the Virgin Australia Lounge (as well as selected international airport lounges operated by partner airlines)
- Priority Check-in, Screening and Boarding
- Extra baggage allowance
- Complimentary reciprocal Gold membership with either IHG Rewards or Hilton Hhonors
Reaching the lofty heights of Velocity Frequent Flyer Platinum status requires 1,000 status credits to earn or 800 to retain, plus 8 eligible flight sectors.
Once there, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of gold, plus key perks like Economy X seat selection on Domestic and International Short Haul flights and complimentary Platinum Partner membership with IHG Rewards or Diamond membership with Hilton Hhonors.